So, you want to get into motorcycling but don’t know how? Well, look no further as we have a detailed guide to help you!

Step 1: Apply for your provisional license.

If you already have a provisional license or a full driving license, you can skip this step!

You will need this license whether you decide to learn how to drive, ride, or both… It costs £34 and you can apply on the GOV.UK website. Be patient as it can take up to 2 weeks to receive your license.

Step 2: Compulsory Basic Training (CBT).

Before you can get started on the road, regardless of the license you’re looking to obtain, you will need to complete a CBT. This is a day of training, no tests, and it is made of 5 components.

  • Introduction & Eyesite Test
  • On-site Training
  • On-site Riding
  • On-road Training
  • On-road Riding

If you would like to, read more about the CBT syllabus…

This can be taken from the age of 16+. However, your age will limit which size of bike you can ride:
For people aged 16 years:
50cc is the maximum capacity… For people aged 17 years and above: 125cc is the maximum capacity…

You will also have the choice to learn how to ride a moped, like Suzuki’s Burgman 125cc Scooter or a geared motorbike, such as the MT-125 from Yamaha.

CBTs can cost from £90 to £130 depending on the instructor, if you have your own safety gear and motorcycle, you can train on that to bring the costs down, however, we recommend using the instructors as it means you will have the correct motorcycle and it removes any pressures! You can find your nearest training body on the GOV.UK website.

Your CBT certificate is valid for 2 years, giving you ample time to get your full license! Whilst you can’t ‘fail’ a CBT, your instructor can refuse to give you a CBT certificate if they feel your riding is dangerous.

Scooter Recommendation: Yamaha NMAX 125cc

If you like the thought of ‘scooting’ about, we would recommend the Yamaha NMAX 125cc, as it is one of the most popular scooters!

Motorcycle Recommendation: Yamaha YZF-R3

Alternatively, if you’re looking for a head-turner of a bike, look no further than the Yamaha YZF-R3! (For riders on the A2, DAS, or A license)

Step 3: Motorbike Lessons.

More often than not, the training body you used for your CBT will probably offer motorbike lessons. During these intensive courses (Which cost from £400 to £900 depending on your level of riding experience), you will ride with a qualified instructor who will help rein in your riding skills and road smarts as you progress onto a bigger bike… (Or a 125cc for the A1 class license)

It is also wise to gain road experience and handling of your bike, you can ride with experienced bikers on the road now you have your CBT, just be sure to MOT, tax, and insure your motorbike.

Step 4: Theory Test.

Once your instructor recommends it, you will need to pass your theory test, which is the same format as the driving theory test! It consists of:

- 50 multiple-choice questions.

- A hazard perception test, that uses video clips.

You can, once again, use the GOV.UK website to practice this format. Your theory test will cost £23, taking roughly an hour to complete. In order to pass, you will need to achieve 43/50 on the multiple-choice and 44/75 on the hazard perception. Much like your CBT, your theory test certificate is valid for 2 years.

Step 5: Practical Test.

Once your theory test is in hand and your instructor feels you are ready, it’s time to take the test! Consisting of two modules, Module 1 (£15.50) is an off-road riding test where you will be tested on:
- Bike Handling.

- Slow speed control (Figure of 8 and a slalom).

- Controlled and emergency stops.

and Module 2 (£88.50), the on-road riding test which will cover topics such as:

- “Show me, Tell me” safety questions.

- Road riding (Led by the instructor via a headset).

- Independent riding.

Upgrading your licence.

Working out which license to go for can be difficult. Your instructor will be able to explain, however here is a chart that helps!

License TypeRequirementsMotorcycle Types Allowed
AM16+ years of ageUp to 50cc, top speed of 28 mph
A117+ years of ageUp to 125cc and no more than 11KW
A219+ years of ageUp to 35KW or 47bhp (Can be restricted, but can’t originally exceed more than 94bhp)
A21+ years of age AND held an A2 licence for two yearsAll
A24+ years of ageAll

Now, no matter what license you go for, find your local biker café, and enjoy the ride!