BAND B SPEEDING FINE
A Band B speeding fine would apply for someone caught doing between 41-50mph in a 30mph zone, in which case a fine equivalent to 75-125% of their weekly income would apply, with 4-6 penalty points on their licence, or disqualification from driving for up to 28 days.
BAND A SPEEDING FINE
A Band A speeding fine would be imposed for anyone caught speeding between 31-40 in a 30mph zone, who would then expect to receive a fine equivalent to 25-75% of their weekly income and 3 penalty points on their licence.
Additionally, if you are a first time offender you may be offered the chance to take a speed awareness course which will allow you to dodge the penalty points. This however will not be extended to repeat offenders.
Is there scope for variation in the new speeding fine system?
Yes, the Sentencing Council has issued a selection of factors which courts must take into account that can increase the seriousness of the offence, or provide mitigating circumstances.
Examples of factors which might aggravate the offence to 175% include speeding while towing a caravan or trailer, speeding near a school or with a high level of traffic or pedestrians nearby.
Factors increasing seriousness
- Previous convictions, having regard to a) the nature of the offence to which the conviction relates and its relevance to the current offence; and b) the time that has elapsed since the conviction
- Offence committed whilst on bail
Other aggravating factors:
- Offence committed on licence or post sentence supervision
- Poor road or weather conditions
- Driving LGV, HGV, PSV etc.
- Towing caravan/trailer
- Carrying passengers or heavy load
- Driving for hire or reward
- Evidence of unacceptable standard of driving over and above speed
- Location - near school
- High level of traffic or pedestrians in the vicinity
Factors reducing seriousness
- No previous convictions or no relevant/recent convictions
- Good character and/or exemplary conduct
- Genuine emergency established
|Speed Limit (Mph)||Recorded Speed (Mph)|
|20||41 and above||31-40||21-30|
|30||51 and above||41-50||31-40|
|40||66 and above||56-65||41-55|
|50||76 and above||66-75||51-65|
|60||91 and above||81-90||61-80|
|70||101 and above||91-100||71-90|
|Sentencing Range||Band C Fine (125-175% of relevant weekly income)||Band B Fine (75-125% of relevant weekly income)||Band A Fine (25-75% of relevant weekly income)|
|Points/Disqualification||Disqualification for 7-56 days OR 6 penalty points on licence||Disqualification for 7-28 days OR 4-6 penalty points on licence||3 points on licence|
Industry News -08/08/2019Subaru XV & Forester E-BOXER Hybrid cars - book your test drive
Industry News -08/01/2019The New Key Driving Law Changes You Need To Know About In 2019
Industry News -12/10/2018New Engine Lineup For The Nissan Qashqai
Industry News -17/09/2018Most Reliable Cars In 2018 - Suzuki Hits The Top Spot!