What is Motability and how does it work?
There are currently over 640,000 people enjoying the benefits of Motability and 1 million people in the UK who are eligible to receive a new car through Motability but have not yet joined.
Why are there so many people who have not yet joined?
Following a welfare reform in 2013, a new system of disability benefits was introduced to replace what was the Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
Personal independence payment (PIP) is for people aged 16-64 and is split into 2 parts.
- The first element of PIP applies to those who need help taking part in everyday life
- The second is for those who find it difficult to get around
This means that it's no longer only those with physical disabilities who qualify for payment. In fact, only 50% of PIP recipients will be awarded their benefit based on a physical disability alone with a further 30% awarded due to both physical and mental health conditions and the remaining 20% awarded due to mental health condition.
Those who have not previously qualified for PIP, or indeed their carers, may not be aware that the payment can be exchanged for the lease of a brand new car with all the costs covered.
The Motability Scheme gives recipients of PIP the opportunity of worry free motoring which could for some be life changing.
So why join?
When you join the Motability Scheme you get more than just the car of your choice, you’ll enjoy all the freedom that comes with a truly worry free purchase.
It’s all inclusive – we arrange the insurance, breakdown assistance, servicing and maintenance and what's more, this is all included. We take care of everything so you can just add fuel and be on your way.
Your choice – you pick the car. We'll help and advise you on the cars which are suitable. We have a wide range of both Suzuki and Nissan cars, some of which are available with nil advance. There's also several 4x4s to further help and take you through the best and worst of weathers!
Hassle-free experience – we'll do everything for you. Once you've chosen your car, we'll take you for a test drive with one of our Motability specialists and when you’re ready, we’ll complete your order for you and you’re good to go!
Benefits of joining the scheme:
- A new car of your choice every three years - included
- Insurance - included
- Servicing and maintenance - included
- Full breakdown assistance from RAC - included
- Annual road tax - included
- Replacement tyres supplied and fitted by us - included
- Window and windscreen repair - included
- Vehicle adaptions - arranged by us (and many adaptions are included)
How does it work?
Your path to a Motability car scheme is as easy as 1, 2, 3...
- Step 1 – Choose from our huge range of Suzuki and Nissan vehicles, some of which are available with Nil Advance Payment.
- Step 2 – Pop in to one of our branches, arrange a test drive with your choice of vehicle, and off you go!
- Step 3 – Enjoy your vehicle with your fully inclusive lease package!
Also as you reach the end of your current lease agreement, you may be thinking of getting your next Motability Scheme car, so around three months before the end of your lease we will contact you to explain when and how you will need to return the car, and if you wish, how to order your next new vehicle. It’s as simple as that!
How and who can use your car?
Before you can lease a car through the Motability Scheme, you’ll need to make sure you’re happy to lease a car within the Scheme’s terms and conditions.
We’ll ask you to make sure:
The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit.
Only named drivers listed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance can drive the car.
We will only accept drivers who have a legally valid driving licence. Drivers with a non-UK driving licence will be subject to additional checks.
At the time of ordering your new car, you, your nominated drivers and the Motability dealer will need to sign a 'statement of responsibilities and suitability confirmation' form to confirm you understand and agree to follow the terms and conditions for using your Motability car.
Misuse would be considered as:
- Not giving the disabled person the benefit of the car
- Not taking proper care of your car
- Driving whilst uninsured or banned
- Using the car in a criminal act
- Lending, sub-leasing or selling the car
- Using the car for unauthorised business purposes, for example, as a taxi or delivery vehicle
Nissan May Motability Event
We are holding a Motability Event at our Nissan dealership in Keighley from the 14th - 21st May 2018.
Our 4 Suzuki car dealerships are also authorised Motability dealers which means you have even more choice when it comes to selecting your Motability car from Colin Appleyard.
Have any queries about the scheme? Or just want to order your new car? Then pop in and see us or give your local Colin Appleyard dealership a call.
We’ll be happy to help you and can even arrange a home appointment and test drive if you're unable to get to us!