Introducing the 2019 Suzuki Jimny
The Jimny made its initial debut in 1970, and since then has been a masterpiece of Suzuki’s 4-Wheel Drive technology. It is the one and only authentic 4x4, small and lightweight but still retaining the off-road performance desired by professionals.
Suzuki gave us teaser images of the new model in June, and have followed this up by releasing more information about the new Jimny's exterior and interior upgrades. Suzuki say that it now has more functionality and practicality while still adhering to the roots of those much-loved predecessors.
So what do we now know?
- New, robust, square body expresses its off-road ability as well as contributing to the driver's situational awareness.
- More upright A-pillars, a flat clamshell bonnet and dipped window lines to increase visibility for both driver and passenger
- Round signature headlamps are a nod to the previous generation models
- 15" dark metallic alloy wheels
- Drip rails on roof edges
- Wheel arch extensions and side sill covers
- 8 body colours, including 2 new colours developed exclusively for the new Jimny: a high-visibility 'Kinetic Yellow' designed to stand out in bad weather or rough worksites, and a low-visibility 'Jungle Green' which blends in with natural scenery.
- Straightforward, practical and down-to-earth design.
- Horizontal lines defined by the instrument panel and vertical lines by the meter cluster/centre console panels help the driver recognise the angle of the vehicle
- Everything surrounding the driver and front passenger is built for professional use with scratch and stain resistant finishes
- Backs of the rear seats and boot floor are coated for easy dirt / stain removal
- The grip and switches can be handled whilst wearing gloves
- Increased luggage space over the previous model by 16%, to 377 litres.
- The boot is flat all the way across to make full use of the storage width with 5 utility screw holes on each side and 4 luggage hook screws around the floor area
- Bluetooth 7" audio display unit with smartphone linkage (Apple CarPlay / Android Auto)
- New 1.5 litre petrol engine improving both off-road and on-road driving
- Manual or Automatic transmission available
- New ALLGRIP PRO 4-Wheel Drive system designed specifically for off-road manouvering
- ALLGRIP PRO features a part-time 4-Wheel Drive system to increase fuel economy, with low range transfer gear which can be easily switched for better traction.
- New steering damper on the front suspension minimises wheel vibration and kickback
- Ladder frame, three angles, 3-link rigid axle suspension with coil spring
- Approach angle of 37 degrees, ramp breakover angle of 28 degrees and departure angle of 49 degrees allow the Jimny to climb over obstacles and steep hills without scraping its bumpers or underbody.
- New Dual Sensor Brake Support to help avoid collision or reduce damage
- New Lane departure warning and weaving alert function
- New High beam assist for courteous night time driving
- New Traffic sign recognition monitor - first of its kind on a Suzuki model
- New Hill Hold and Hill Descent Control
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
- 6 Airbags
So that's what we know so far - want to find out more as we do?
If you want to keep up to date with the latest information, head over to the Jimny model page and make an enquiry. We'll let you know more as soon as we get it from Suzuki, and inform you when the brand new model arrives and most importantly, is available for a test drive.